Pizza Recipe Low Sodium

Pizza Recipe Low Sodium

Pizza, oh pizza.  One of the joys in life, but one that is usually out of bounds on a low sodium diet.  But it turns out that you can make some really great pizzas, and this simple combination is one of our favorites. 

We have tried pizzas with our own low sodium sausage, ground beef, peppers, mushrooms, onions, and even potatoes! We have used fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, and swiss.  We’ve tried no sauce, red sauce, and garlic-infused olive oil. We have drizzled truffle oil on top, sprinkled oregano, and topped it with crushed red pepper.  We have had some successes (potato, fresh thyme, goat cheese, and truffle oil – yum).  And we’ve had some failures (we aren’t crazy about the sausage because it seems too much like an imitation of the salty stuff; fresh mozz can also be hard to work with since it retains so much liquid).   This basic combination of tomatoes, fresh basil, and swiss is really satisfying and, as it turns out, is very low sodium.

Made

As you might imagine, any premade pizza crust is probably high in sodium.  So to make this low sodium-friendly, we will make our own crust.   When I make homemade yeast doughs, I nearly always proof the yeast.  It is a quick way to find out whether your yeast is still active (plus I am always captivated by watching it “explode” and puff up in the water).  I start with yeast, sugar, and very warm water (110°F to 115°F – and yes, I actually measure the temp with a thermometer to make sure that it’s right).

The Easiest Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe

Then you will add the oil and begin to whisk in the flour a little at a time.  When the dough is thick enough to be handled, dump the whisk and start kneading the flour in by hand.  Knead the dough for 6-8 minutes or until smooth and elastic.  If you don’t like kneading dough (who

Alternate 1: Add the ingredients to a bread machine according to manufacturer’s directions.  Run it on the dough cycle, and once it is done, remove it to let it rise in a warm place.

Alternate 2: Using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment to mix in about half the flour to the proofed yeast mixture.  Once the mixture becomes thick, switch to the dough hook and continue to add flour.  Knead the dough using the dough hook for 6-8 minutes or until smooth and elastic.

Secret Low Sodium White Sauce

I have a super secret hint here, for those of you who keep their homes cool or live in a cool climates (like me!).  With all my yeast doughs, I let them rise in the oven with the door closed and the oven light on .  Of course make sure the oven is off (I stick a note on my oven controls reminding myself and my family to leave the oven off).  The light creates a really warm environment where the dough will rise beautifully.

The sauce here is really simple. If you have one you like better, go ahead and use it.  I usually toss in whatever I think will taste good as I go.  I do like the addition of fennel because it reminds me of Italian sausage, so if you have never tried it, you should!

You can use a pizza stone like I did, or any old baking sheet if you don’t have a stone.  I have made this both ways and it turns out fine with a baking sheet.

Barbecue Chicken Pizza

You know how to make a pizza from here. You just top it and bake it.   And then you eat it. And let it deposit some pizza joy back into your low sodium life.

Low

Sodium: 98.9 mg, Calories: 423.4 Total Fat: 17.0 g, Saturated Fat: 8.7 g, Cholesterol: 33.6 mg, Carbohydrates: 44.9 g, Fiber: 2.6 g, Sugar: 1.8 g, Protein: 18.2 g.Low sodium pizza…and it is low cholesterol? Yes, it can be done. Although the crust is thin, the taste is BIG. Friday Recipe Rehab continues with low sodium pizza!

Pizza packs a hefty punch of cholesterol and sodium. Before embarking on this lifestyle change, I loved nothing more than a big DiGiorno Rising Crust Pizza or another major brand of pizza. We would each eat 1/3 of the pie, saving the other 1/3 for another weekday meal. Add a big salad, lots of cheese and olives to the salad, and oh boy…scrumptious.

Low Sodium Pizza Sauce

I’m not picking on one brand of pizza, by the way. All processed and frozen foods, including pizza, typically add tons of sodium to the food. It helps preserve it and enhances the flavor.

The problem? A meal like the one I just described is a sodium TIME BOMB packed with over 1, 480 mg of salt per serving. The cholesterol in mozzarella cheese isn’t bad, but it’s not great, either. At 50 mg per serving, with a daily limit of 200 mg of cholesterol for an adult enjoying a heart-healthy diet, it’s not going to break your cholesterol bank.

Tomato

I tried making the crust from scratch without salt. If you enjoy cardboard, go for it. It tasted like a cracker with pizza toppings on it. For the sauce, I used homemade tomato sauce, which I made from tomatoes grown here on our farm and mixed with no-salt tomato paste.

Simple Vegan Pizza

Shredded, low-fat mozzarella cheese offers a lower cholesterol version. I didn’t substitute the cheese because let’s face it — without cheese, you may as well just spoon sauce on top of bread and call it a day.

Another trick to ramping up the flavor on this low salt pizza recipe is to use plenty of healthy toppings. I used garlic powder, which has no sodium listed on the label, plus plenty of dried basil and oregano from my garden. Diced onion, pepper, and mushroom added vegetables and flavor without calories, fat, or sodium.

I browse Dollar Tree every week looking for bargains. I’ve found olives, herbal teas, no-sodium taco shells, and one glorious week, low sodium pizza crust! It’s packaged in an air-tight wrapper so it is shelf-stable. There is no brand name on the label but it appears to be manufactured by the Quaker company given the return address on the package.

Low

Low Sodium Pizza Sauce Recipe (no Salt Added)

I used our metal perforated pizza tray, placing the crust on the tray. I spooned sauce on top, added the cheese in an even layer, then the diced mushrooms, onions, and peppers from the garden. A heavy sprinkle of basil and oregano, followed by garlic powder, and into the oven for 8 – 10 minutes at 400 degrees F.

You can, too. It takes some effort, but many of your family favorite recipes can be made over. Look for creative substitutions, healthier alternatives, and compromise where you must to make an enjoyable meal.

0 Response to "Pizza Recipe Low Sodium"

Posting Komentar