King Arthur Sourdough Pizza Recipe

King Arthur Sourdough Pizza Recipe

You know when you feed your sourdough starter and you start by getting rid of most of it, saving just a little bit? It always irritates you to throw away that excess starter, doesn't it? You've fed it and kept it warm (or cool) and watched it grow and loved it and... well, throwing away any starter feels like ditching one of your kids! So what's the solution?

In fact, there are quite a few ways you can use your discard sourdough starter — and none of them involves surreptitiously scraping it into a hole out back where the critters won't find it. Pancakes or waffles. Biscuits. Soft pretzels. Even carrot cake makes good use of unfed sourdough starter.

-

But we particularly like it in sourdough pizza crust, where its flavor beautifully complements both tomato sauce and cheese, while helping to ramp up the taste of milder toppings like peppers and mushrooms.

King Arthur's Sourdough Crust (omitted The Commercial Yeast)

Now, I know some of you are wonderful sourdough parents, and some of you... well, not so much. I'm the same way; I have one starter I feed regularly, and another (an emergency backup) that tends to get lost in the chaos at the back of the fridge.

I decided to use both of them in pizza crust, to see if the pampered starter responds better than the one suffering from neglect.

Our Sourdough Pizza Crust recipe calls for using starter right from the fridge — no feeding necessary. The starter on the left had been fed within the past couple of days. The one on the right — well, I'll bet it's been at least two months since it had had any attention; there was quite a bit of grayish liquid on top (alcohol), which I stirred back in.

Sourdough Neapolitan Pizza Dough

I mix two batches of dough, one using the more active starter, one the sleepier. I end up using 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water in each batch of dough. Your goal is dough that's soft, but not unbearably sticky.

After another hour, the happier starter dough is still ahead, but the neglected starter dough is starting to catch up. Both are showing good activity, as you can see from the air bubbles.

After a total of four hours rising, I pat each crust into a half-sheet pan — which I've first greased with non-stick spray, and then drizzled with olive oil.

Sourdough Pizza Margherita

I'm making thick Sicilian-style pizza here. You can make two 12 round thin-crust pizzas out of each batch of crust, if you prefer.

And here's what it looks like two hours later. It's not a frenetic riser, but the dough does puff up and spread into the corners of the pan.

At this point, there's no need to take a comparison photo of the dough made from the neglected starter; it's totally caught up. Lesson learned: making your sourdough pizza crust with a neglected rather than happy starter is just fine.

Sourdough Pizza Dough For High Temp Ovens

OK, we're about ready to bake. Let's preheat the oven to 450°F. I'll set my pan of dough on a pizza stone, which lives full time on the bottom of my oven. If you don't want to use a stone, that's fine, too — you'll just set the pan on your oven's middle shelf.

Thin-crust pizzas don't need pre-baking, but if you're making a thicker sourdough pizza crust, bake it for about 8 to 10 minutes without toppings, until it's set. It'll lose its raw-dough shine, and will appear solid, not fragile.

Notice the crust is baked all the way through, but not browned. Sourdough crusts don't generally brown as readily, so don't panic; it'll look fine by the time you've topped and finished baking it.

Best Flour For Sourdough Pizza: Is Tipo 00 Really Needed?

I bake the topped pizza for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, then take it out of the oven and sprinkle with thinly sliced red onion — to complete the red theme.

Simple

PJ Hamel grew up in New England, graduated from Brown University, and was an award-winning Maine journalist (favorite topics: sports and food) before joining King Arthur Flour in 1990. Hired to write the newly launched Baker’s Catalogue, PJ became the small but growing company’s sixth employee.    ...

14 super sourdough recipes for all your bread baking Looking for an easy everyday loaf? How about a whole grain sandwich bread? We’ve got it all.

Basic Neapolitan Pizza Dough With King Arthur Bread Flour

Our new favorite pizza is this hyper-local, super-crispy style from the South Shore It's got a passionate following, lacy cheese edges, and a very special crust.Here is my guide for making sourdough pizza crust at home. As far as sourdough pizza recipes are concerned, this one is as simple as it gets — it’s made with all-purpose flour and there is no autolyse or preferment. Everything gets mixed together at once and you are on your way! Ready? Wake up your starter! Let’s do this πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•

One of the most frequently asked questions I’ve received these past few weeks is: “Have you ever replaced the yeast in “X” bread recipe with sourdough starter?”

Yes! And today, I’m going to show you how. The process is very similar to how I make yeast-leavened pizza, and the resulting pies are similar: ballooned and blistered edges with crisp but pliable crusts. In the recipe below, there are instructions for making three favorite pizzas πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•:

Everyday Sourdough Pizza Crust Recipe

Yes. In my experience, the pizzas made from frozen dough do not spring as high upon being baked, but they still taste delicious.

Also, in my experience, the more time dough spends in the freezer, the more air bubbles the dough seems to lose. After 1 week in the freezer, my dough will bake up beautifully. After 3 weeks in the freezer, my dough will be less bubbly and will bake into a thinner and crisper crust.

Sourdough

To freeze sourdough pizza dough: make it through step 4 in the recipe below or until after you transfer the portioned rounds to quart containers. At this point, transfer the quart containers to the freezer. To thaw, remove a container (or more) and let thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day or thaw at room temperature for 8 hours. Then, proceed with the recipe.

King Arthur Flour Pizza Crust Mix

Regardless if you are using yeast or sourdough, these (for me) are the keys to making excellent pizza at home every time.

“As soon as I began really paying attention to how I shaped my pizza rounds by taking care to use a gentle hand, I noticed a difference in the finished product. The air pockets pervading the unbaked round really affect the texture of the baked pizza.”

To be clear, I do not think you need to use a sourdough starter to make excellent pizza at home. A high hydration dough + leavening of choice + proper handling will give you excellent pizza every time, including that baked in a skillet: How to Make Excellent Skillet Pizza.

Whole Grain Sourdough Pizza

My cookbook, ​Pizza Night​, which includes 52 pizza and 52 salad recipes, one pair for every week of the year, as well as five simple desserts is now available for preorder πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•

It’s organized seasonally and includes recipes for the home oven, outdoor oven, the grill, Sicilian-style, Detroit-style, grandma-style, skillet pizzas, gluten-free, and more. There are both yeast and sourdough recipes for every style of pizza in the book.

And if you are looking for other easy sourdough bread recipes, this simple sourdough focaccia recipe, as well as this simple sourdough bread recipe, are the recipes I suggest attempting first, both for their simplicity and flavor. Another great beginner’s bread recipe to try is this overnight, refrigerator focaccia, which requires minimal effort but yields spectacular results.

King

King Arthur Recipe Sourdough Pizza Crust. All Gluten Free

Here’s the simple sourdough pizza crust play-by-play: As always, a scale is essential for best results. You need water, flour, salt, and a sourdough starter. I am a proponent of buying a starter (see recipe box for sources), but if you are up for it, you can build a starter from scratch in just about 1 week.

Combine 375 g water, 100 g sourdough starter, and 10 g salt in a bowl. (See notes in recipe box about using less water if you live in a humid environment.)

Transfer to a straight-sided vessel (if possible) and let rest for 30 minutes. Then, “stretch and fold” the dough (see video for guidance) 4 times at 30 minute intervals. Cover the vessel. Let it rest for 6 to 12 hours (see recipe notes for timing) or until the dough…

Gluten Free Sourdough Discard Pizza Crust

… has about doubled in volume. (Note: This is a little bit more than double. Ideally you don’t want your dough to rise much beyond double. More recently, in fact, I stop the bulk fermentation when the dough has increased in volume by 50%.)

Ball up and transfer to quart (or other similar-sized) containers (I love these deli quart containers). Transfer to the fridge, ideally for at least 6 hours and up to 3 days.

An hour prior to baking, remove a round (or more) of pizza dough, and place it on a floured work surface. If you have a Baking Steel, place it in the upper third of your oven, and heat the oven to 550ΒΊF. (See recipe for other options.)

Sourdough Pizza Dough [step By Step Guide]

Top as you wish. This one is spread with tomato sauce and topped

Sourdough

0 Response to "King Arthur Sourdough Pizza Recipe"

Posting Komentar