Sourdough Discard Pizza Recipe

Sourdough Discard Pizza Recipe

I've been making sourdough bread once a week now for the last couple of months, and I've been lamenting all the sourdough discard I've had to throw away (plus, it stinks up my trash can!). My friend Alison who originally gave me the sourdough starter also mentioned that I could find some recipes online that used sourdough discard. That gave me the idea to try to use it for pizza dough.

Since I've been using the Tartine Bread country loaf recipe, the starter I use is 100% hydration with a 50/50 mix of all-purpose and whole wheat flour. I basically just applied that math to the pizza dough I've been making the last few years and found that it works pretty well and even adds a little more flavor.

The

After making the same recipe for so many years, it's naturally migrated towards what works for me in my kitchen. To account for the addition of the sourdough discard, I reduced the amount of yeast I add to just a pinch. If you have enough time and want even more flavor, you could probably omit the additional yeast altogether. I add it for insurance, just in case the discard isn't active enough. Update: My sourdough starter is now active enough I don't add the extra yeast!

Gluten Free Sourdough Pizza Crust (use Discard!)

Mix the sourdough discard and warm water together in a medium mixing bowl. Add the flour and mix until there are no dried bits left. Cover and let sit 20-30 minutes.

Sprinkle the salt and yeast over the dough. Wet one of your hands thoroughly with warm water and use it to knead the salt into the dough until you can't feel it anymore. Refer to my original pizza dough postfor the fold and pinch method. You should rewet your hands a few times during this process to keep the dough from sticking to you and to help the salt dissolve. Cover and let rest.

After 30-60 minutes, apply a fold to help develop the gluten. During the last fold I dribble some olive oil into the bottom of the bowl and then flip the dough over so the seam is on the bottom and the top (which used to be on the bottom) is coated with oil. Cover and let rest until the dough has doubled in volume, around 6 hours depending on the temperature of your kitchen and how active the sourdough discard is.

Simple Sourdough Pizza Crust: Step By Step Guide

Prepare 2 sandwich bags by folding the tops over and adding a little olive oil to each. Flour your work surface and transfer the dough onto it. Flour a knife or scraper and divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a ball. Transfer to the bags, seal, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 2 days. You can also freeze the dough until ready to use; just thaw it in the fridge overnight the day before you want pizza.Quick sourdough discard pizza dough that you can make with your eyes closed! This sourdough pizza dough is so simple and there's lots of ways you can make it fit exactly what you need.

You can easily use sourdough discard for this recipes, but it works just as well with an active, bubbly starter. I've explained how to decide what to use further down.

You'll also discover that this delicious quick sourdough pizza dough is really easy to freeze. You'll never need to order pizza in again!

Homemade Sourdough Discard Pizza!

We love this quick sourdough discard pizza served with this delicious sourdough garlic bread or as sourdough pizza bianca! And don't forget to make this delicious homemade pizza sauce to take your sourdough pizza to the next level! Or for something different, try this white pizza sauce made with sourdough starter.

This recipe has been made using sourdough discard but I do want to explain why and how you should use discard in this recipe so you have the most success possible!

Basically, the success of this discard pizza dough will depend on the age and strength of your sourdough starter, so here's a quick chart so you know what to use and when.

Vegan Sourdough Discard Pizza Crackers

If your sourdough starter is mature and doubling regularly, you can use your unfed discard with no yeast. It will just take a bit longer to double than if it was active.

If your sourdough starter is only young and not doubling consistently, add 4g of yeast to help it along. If you want super fast pizza dough, add 7g of yeast.

If you have a mature sourdough starter, this recipe works perfectly with an active, bubbly starter. It will take less time to double than discard will.

Quick Thin Crust Sourdough Discard Pizza Dough (no Yeast)

This sourdough discard pizza dough is described as quick because it is really easy to pull together - you can literally throw it in a bowl and you're half way there.

Sourdough

Kneading by hand is really easy - you just need to knead it until the dough becomes soft and supple. It will be quite elastic and stretchy. Don't be tempted to add flour to the surface you're kneading on. Use a metal dough scraper to bring the dough together if you need to (this can be handy to scrape up sticky dough while you build gluten).

You can easily make this recipe in a stand mixer or Thermomix. I've included the instructions here. You might also like to make sourdough focaccia or sourdough fougasse.

The Easiest Sourdough Discard Pizza Crust Recipe

One of the questions I get asked the most is around sourdough timelines. If you would like to know more about building a sourdough timeline, you might be interested in my book Scheduling Sourdough.

8.00am Place kneaded dough into a warm bowl, cover with plastic cover. Pop the bowl into the microwave with the door ajar.

Pizza dough is really forgiving, so I could let it sit for a few extra hours and not shape until 7pm for example. It's not as time sensitive as sourdough bread.

Sourdough Pizza Al Taglio

If you want to make sourdough pizza dough in advance and store it in the fridge until you're ready to shape, place the dough in the fridge once its doubled.

If you've used commercial yeast with your discard, you can leave it in the fridge for up to 3 days after doubling.

-

I have cooked a lot of sourdough pizza crusts. We have pizza every single Friday night (and sometimes we have it during the week and on a Saturday too!). And that adds up to a LOT of sourdough pizza!

Sourdough Discard Pizza Dough In Under One Hour

I have cooked sourdough pizza in an oven on a pizza stone, on perforated pizza trays, baking trays with parchment paper, in a wood fired pizza oven and in a gas fuelled pizza oven.

I have gotten the best results with our gas fuelled pizza oven. It's small and easy to fire up, it holds a constant temperature and pumps out a perfectly cooked pizza in just a few minutes.

If you don't have access to a gas fuelled pizza oven, I find the next best result on a pizza stone in the oven. If you bake a lot of pizza, it's well worth investing in a pizza or baking stone for your oven. The trick is to make sure the pizza stone is super hot before you put the pizza in. You want the crust to cook almost instantly on the searing hot stone!

Half Spelt Sourdough Discard Pizza Dough

If you do want to invest in a gas fuelled pizza oven, I recommend this one. It's the most similar to what I have at home. I also recommend getting yourself a few accessories to make life easier. I use a perforated pizza peel and a pizza turner.

This is my gas fired pizza oven - it cooks my sourdough pizza perfectly! Bubbly crust that's never soggy and golden, molten cheese! YUM!

I use semolina on all of my pizza peels to ensure that the pizza bases are easy to slide into the pizza oven. It makes the pizza peels non stick and allow you to move the pizza bases with no issues.

-

Sourdough Discard Pizza Dough

My 3 year old loves playing with this pizza dough ... and pushing the semolina around the counter top with his toy digger! You can find my best tips for getting kids baking sourdough here!

Yes! Sourdough pizza dough is so simple to freeze and it can free up so much time! I've got two options for freezing your pizza dough, depending on what you'd prefer:

If you want to have some pizza dough in the freezer at all time, you can divide the pizza dough into balls after it's doubled. Place each ball into a zip loc bag and then place into the freezer.

Sourdough Pizza Crust Recipe

When you want to make a pizza, a bag of dough out of the freezer and allow it to defrost at room temperature. Once the dough is at room temp, shape it into a pizza base as you normally would.

For an even faster frozen sourdough pizza, shape your dough into pizza bases. Place each pizza base onto a piece of parchment paper and then onto a pizza peel. Snap freeze the base by allow the base to freeze uncovered in the freezer for around an hour. Once all the bases are frozen, stack them

0 Response to "Sourdough Discard Pizza Recipe"

Posting Komentar